fb-trackingSkip to main content

Windrush Compensation Scheme

The Windrush Compensation Scheme is mainly but not exclusively for those who arrived from Commonwealth countries.  The compensation scheme is open to anyone who arrived in the United Kingdom before 31 December 1988 from any country.

The Home Office recognise that not having the documentation to prove immigration status caused issues with entry into the UK, employment, housing, access to benefits and health care in addition to a range of other issues including removal and detention, inconvenience, injury to feelings, health problems, family separation and inability to attend family occasions.

The Windrush Scheme will compensate eligible individuals who have suffered loss and experienced impact in these types of situations.

You could be eligible for compensations from the scheme if you are:

  • a Commonwealth citizen who settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 or has right of abode
  • a child of Commonwealth citizen parent who settled before 1 January 1973, where you were born in the UK or arrived in the UK before the age of 18
  • a person of any nationality who settled in the UK before 31 December 1988 and is settled in the UK

Get advice

You can call the Home Office Freephone helpline on 0800 678 1925 to speak to an adviser who will answer queries and provide assistance completing the form.  Read the Windrush Scheme guidance.

You can receive independent, confidential and free advice from Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham who can also put you in touch with solicitors who specialise in Windrush compensation claims.  Their opening times can be found on their website.

Alternatively you can search for 'Windrush compensation  lawyers' on the internet.