Equipment and adaptations for older and disabled people

Our occupational therapy service offers a range of services and advice on ways to adapt your home, such as installing a wheelchair ramp, extra handrails, or a stair lift.

Equipment and adaptations

We may be able to help to adapt your home so that you can be more independent and feel safer. You can ask us for an assessment to see what help might be available to you.

Assessing your care needs

Aids and Adaptations Policy 2022 (PDF, 368.43KB)

Please note that the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham no longer provide certain items of equipment. This equipment is readily available to purchase privately. There are a wide variety of pharmacies across the borough that have showrooms where you can see the equipment and try it out. 

Cost of equipment

Some larger pieces of equipment may be loaned to you by the council. This means the equipment is free for you to use for the period of the loan but should be returned if you no longer need it.

If you are offered a prescription to get your equipment, this will also be free and the equipment will belong to you.

You may have to pay for other items, but you can always ask us for advice on what you should get and how much you should expect to pay.


You can purchase a wide range of equipment yourself to help you with difficulties you may have in the kitchen, bathroom, living room or bedroom.

You will be assessed and may be offered a prescription for the equipment you need.

You can take the prescription to any accredited shop to pick up your free equipment. If your equipment isn't in stock, it should be ordered to arrive within 7 days. You can phone up the shop to check that everything you want is in stock before you go.

When you visit the shop with your prescription, it will often be possible for you to "top-up". This means you can choose to buy a more expensive item by paying the difference. this could be an item with extra features, or perhaps in a different colour.

The shop assistant will show you how the equipment works and tell you how to use it.

Recycling equipment

If you have already benefited from equipment loaned to you that you no longer need, Medequip can arrange a free collection, to recycle and help others in need. To find out more visit returning equipment or contact Medequip on 020 8709 7050 or email

Handyperson scheme

You can arrange for a visit to your home to carry out small jobs you find difficult to do, that will reduce hazards and so prevent falls. Jobs that are not the responsibility of someone else to get done and that you cannot get anyone else to help you with.

Anyone* who lives in their own home or rented property can access the scheme if they are:

  • 65 and over
  • have a disability or is vulnerable
  • are being or have recently been discharged from hospital
  • at high risk of falling due to a medical condition

*Proof of eligibility may be needed, and priority will be given to clients who live on their own, or where all household members meet the criteria.

Work the handyperson can do

The handyperson can do lots of small jobs. Examples include:

  • fitting grab rails 
  • making loose carpets and trailing wires safe 
  • moving small items of furniture around
  • one-off gardening work to make your garden safer
  • any other small jobs to make your home safer and free from trip hazards

If you have any queries about any jobs you need doing please do not hesitate to contact us and we will advise if we can do it. The type of work is limited to small DIY type jobs taking no more than half a day to carry out.

Cost of the service

This is a free service to all who meet the eligibility criteria so you will not have to pay the cost of any materials nor is there a labour charge. 

For more information and contact details visit Harmony House Dagenham.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home. For example if you:

  • are physically disabled
  • have a learning disability
  • have age-related needs
  • are autistic
  • have a cognitive impairment, like dementia
  • have a progressive condition, like motor neurone disease
  • have a terminal illness
  • have a mental health condition

You might need to:

  • widen doors and install ramps or grab rails
  • improve access to rooms and facilities, for example with a stairlift, or level access shower
  • improve access to your garden
  • build an extension, for example a downstairs bedroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

Please note that this grant is needs assessed. Please get in contact with us to discuss this in more detail: Call the Adult Intake Team on 020 8227 2915 or email them at  

More information can be found on the Government website

Care technology

Older and vulnerable people, particularly those living on their own, need to be able to call for help in an emergency. Telecare equipment can help. You could have a range of automatic sensors placed around your home, or just wear a simple alarm button around your neck or wrist.

Care technology