Report a change in your circumstances

Tell us about any changes so you get the right amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

You must tell us about any changes in your circumstances as this could result in us paying you too little or too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

If you are an existing claimant and receive Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support, it is your responsibility to report any change to your household, income, capital or any other change held by any member of your household. ​

​Examples of changes you must report may include:​

  • you stop receiving Child Benefit for a child​
  • someone moves in or out (including grown up children)​
  • you/your partner have a change in earnings
  • a non-dependant adult has a change in income ​
  • your capital increases over £6,000 (or £10,000 if pension age)
  • a change of address​ or change in rent 

The above list is not exhaustive. 

List of things not required:

  • Pension Credit claimants – Any Benefit uprating notice
  • State Pension – Any Benefit uprating notice
  • any other Benefit uprating notice

If you are receiving Universal Credit, you do not need to report any change of earnings to the Council.

All other changes for Universal Credit claimants must be reported such as a change in household or capital.

If you have a change you can email us and quote your quoting your Benefit reference and National Insurance number to  If you claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support across two local authorities, you must tell both councils of your change.​

​How to send supporting evidence​

If you need to send evidence to the Benefit’s team to support your claim the fastest and most convenient way for all evidence, except identity, is by scanning this information at home and emailing the evidence to

Documents and evidence can be sent to us online.

For sending Free School Meal information, please email Don’t forget to include your name and benefit reference on your email so we can match your documents.


Housing Benefit

Revenues & Benefits, Town Hall, 1 Town Square, Barking, IG11 7LU

020 8227 2970

Please note this office is not open for enquiries or document drop off and that original documents should not be sent by post to us.