Become a childminder

Find out how to become a childminder in Barking and Dagenham.


To become a childminder in the borough, you must:

  • be a resident of the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
  • have the right to work in the UK
  • have a valid National Insurance number
  • have an email address and be able to access the internet on a regular basis

It is highly recommended that you hold a UK level 2 qualification or certificate in English. If you don't, you may wish to contact The Adult College, which offers a range of English courses and will be able to assess your skills.

Ofsted Registration Guidance  

Decide which Ofsted register you wish to register on - either the Early Years Register, the Childcare Register, or both:

Early years register briefing sessions

It is highly recommended that Barking and Dagenham applicants registering on the early years register attend a briefing session to start this process.

The Briefing Session covers:

  • what it is like to be a childminder in Barking and Dagenham
  • sustainability and business planning
  • the welfare requirements
  • childminder training

Apply to attend a briefing session


You must complete the following courses to register:

  • Childminder Training – for Early Years applicants
  • Paediatric First Aid (must be a 12 hour course, approved by us)

Ofsted will require evidence that you have completed these.

Training providers

The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham takes no responsibility for any concerns you may have if you choose to use any of the training providers listed below. This is not an exhaustive list and other training providers are available. All training must meet the borough and Ofsted registration requirements. 

Childminder Training for Early Years applicants

Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY)

PACEY website.
0300 003 0006

Sue Overton Applied Practice

SOAP website.
01374 830034

Paediatric First Aid Training

This must be a 12 hour course approved by us.

PIP Professional Training & Services

PIP Services website.
0800 111 6303

Frinton Training

Frinton Training website. 
01255 678470

British Red Cross

British Red Cross - First aid training website

St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance - First aid training website.
020 7258 7014

First Aid Direct

The Health and Safety & Hygiene Training Consultancy

HSH - Training, audit and consultancy website.
03333 059688

Food and Hygiene Training

PIP Services Ltd

PIP Services website.
020 8598 4250

The Health and Safety & Hygiene Training Consultancy

HSH - Training, audit and consultancy website.
03333 059688

Self employment advice

Tax and National Insurance

HMRC has tax advice for childminders.

Business planning has advice on writing a business plan.

Planning permission

You may not need planning permission to work from home however if you are employing an assistant to help care for more children this may have an effect on your home. This could be an increase in traffic or people visiting. If the overall use of your property is changing as a result of your business you may apply to your council for a certificate of lawful use for the proposed activity, to confirm it is not a change of use. Contact Building and Control Services for more advice.

Building Control Services

020 8227 3933

After registration is complete

When your registration is complete, Ofsted will notify our Family Information Service. You will then be allocated an early years development officer who will arrange to visit you to discuss the support available to registered childminders in the borough.