A week-long nationwide celebration to tackle climate change starts this Saturday – and everyone is invited to take part.
The Great Big Green Week takes place between Saturday 24 September and Sunday 2 October and aims to celebrate all the grassroots community action taking place to tackle global warming and protect green spaces.
Across the country thousands of events will be taking place, including a number of free events in Barking and Dagenham.
Residents are also encouraged to get together and organise their own litter-picking events, which the council will provide all the necessary equipment for, such as grabbers, gloves, and waste bags.
Councillor Kashif Haroon, Cabinet Member for Public Realm and Climate Change, said: “The impact of climate change is no longer something we just hear about or see on television – it’s happening here, in our borough. Recently, we’ve had torrential downpours, floodings, a mini tornado, grass fires, and hosepipe bans.
“The Great Big Green Week is a chance to recognise we all have a part to play, while also celebrating the efforts of grassroots groups who are helping to keep Barking and Dagenham clean and tidy, while also reducing their carbon footprint.”
Across the borough there are 28 parks and green spaces, which provide 463 hectares of land open to the public.
Councillor Saima Ashraf, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Community Leadership and Engagement, said: “We know so many of our residents already take pride in where they live, which is why the Great Big Green Week is a wonderful way of shining a light on the community action that’s already happening all over the borough. I would encourage other residents to use this as an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors while making a difference in their local area.”
Events taking place in Barking and Dagenham:
- Saturday 24 September – St Chad’s Park litter walk
- Saturday 24 September – Noah’s Ark collecting waste plastic bottles
- Saturday 24 September – Respoke bike shop
- Saturday 24 September – Fun activities for young people at Barking Learning Centre
- Saturday 24 September – Barking Riverside bike hub
- Sunday 25 September – River Roding litter-pick: Harts Lane estate and River Roding
- Monday 26 September – Respoke bike shop
- Monday 26 September – Litter-pick in the Park: Eastbrookend Country Park
- Tuesday 27 September – Beam Parklands: a guided heritage walk
- Tuesday 27 September – Respoke bike shop
- Tuesday 27 September – Barking Riverside bike hub
- Wednesday 28 September – Respoke bike shop
- Wednesday 28 September – River Roding litter-pick: The Wild Garden
- Thursday 29 September – Composting workshop with bin compost bin
- Thursday 29 September – Barking Riverside bike hub
- Friday 30 September – Respoke bike shop
- Saturday 1 October – Noah’s Ark collecting waste plastic bottles
- Saturday 1 October – Respoke bike shop
- Saturday 1 October – Barking Riverside bike hub
- Sunday 2 October – Westbury Community Space Sunday Social
For more information and events, visit the Great Big Green Week website at greatbiggreenweek.com.
To organise a litter-picking event and borrow equipment from the council, visit the council’s website.