Report industrial pollution

How to report industrial pollution and pollution prevention and control permits

The best way to report environmental pollution is to use our online form. 

Report environmental pollution

Environment Agency regulation

Larger industries, such as power stations, and waste and reprocessing facilities works are regulated by the Environment Agency.

To report pollution relating to an Environment Agency-regulated site, contact the Environment Agency incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.

Industrial processes

Certain industrial activities have the potential to cause pollution risks to human health and the environment. These activities are regulated to make sure that there are controls over the way they are carried out. This regulation system is called Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC).

Many commercial and industrial processes require an LAPPC permit, which sets out the conditions of measures used to reduce the release of air pollutants. These measures are generally in line with the Local Authority Pollution Control: general guidance manual issued by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Permit fees

The associated fees and charges, including an Environmental Permit application fee and an annual subsistence fee, are updated yearly.

The fees must be paid to the local authority. The amounts are specified by DEFRA.

Apply for permits

You can apply for an environmental permit at GOV.UK, or by contacting Environmental Services by email or post.