fb-trackingSkip to main content

Alcohol and entertainment licences

Under the Licensing Act 2003, the Council is responsible for licensing the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of late night refreshment and the provision of regulated entertainment. If you wish to carry out any of these activities in Barking and Dagenham, you must apply to us for the appropriate authorisation.

The forms of authorisation are:

  • Premises Licence– which allows a licensable activity or combination of activities to be undertaken at a particular premises.
  • Club Premises Certificate– which is similar to a premises licence but applicable to private members’ clubs.
  • Personal Licence– which is a portable licence permitting an individual to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol at premises for which a premises licence is held.
  • Temporary Event Notice – which under certain circumstances permits licensable activity at premises which either do not have a premises licence or are not licensed for that activity

The Council exercises its licensing function with the view to promoting the four objectives prescribed by the Act:

  1. the prevention of crime and disorder
  2. public safety
  3. the prevention of public nuisance
  4. the protection of children from harm

Statement of Licensing Policy 


All fees in respect of alcohol and entertainment licensing are set nationally and are available on the gov.uk website.

Pay for an Alcohol and Entertainment License

Register of Licensed Premises and Club Premises

As the Licensing Authority, LB Barking and Dagenham is required to maintain a public register of all premises in the borough issued a licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Register of Licensed Premises and Club Premises - August 2021 (PDF, 200KB)