Notice of marriage or Civil partnership

Documents required to give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Each person giving notice will need to bring a valid passport or Home Office travel documents and 2 different proofs of address each from the list below:

  • Council Tax statement dated within the last year 
  • utility bill dated within the last 3 months (not a mobile or landline telephone bill) 
  • bank statement dated within 1 month of the date of notice (online statements can be accepted with the corresponding bank card) 
  • valid UK driving licence 
  • mortgage statement dated within the last year, or current local authority tenancy agreement
  • If you do not have a passport, or are under 18, for further information please see Marriages and civil partnerships on GOV.UK

If you have previously been through a marriage or civil partnership in this or any other country you will need to provide documents relating to the divorce. We will need to see the decree absolute, previous marriage certificate (if your identity documents do not match the information shown on your decree absolute) and translations (as appropriate). Additional fees apply for foreign divorce document clearance as stated above. If you are a widow/widower you will need to bring a death certificate and your marriage certificate.

Please ensure that if you are adding your parent’s details to your marriage schedule when you give of Notice of Marriage, that you have the correct spellings (including their middle names) as failure to do this might mean that you may not be able to register your documents in another country.

Photocopied or scanned documents will not be accepted.