Notice of marriage or Civil partnership

Foreign nationals giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Immigration laws will change from 1 July 2021 to reflect changes brought about following EU exit. Legislative updates regarding immigration will impact the process of taking notices of marriage and civil partnerships.

From 1 July all register offices in England and Wales will become a designated office, this means that where one or both parties is subject to immigration control, notice of marriage or civil partnership will need to be given together at a district where either one or both parties reside.

If you are not a relevant National we highly recommend you do not book a ceremony until you have a confirmed notice of marriage appointment with your local register office and that the ceremony date you choose is more than 70 days after this date. 

The definition of a relevant national is;

  • a British Citizen
  • an Irish Citizen
  • a person who has been granted EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status (either settled or pre-settled) or has a pending application for that status (submitted before 30 June 2021)

If you live abroad and are coming into the country to give notice of marriage, you must be resident in England for 7 complete days and nights (24 hours x 7) immediately prior to the date of notice. You cannot give notice until day 9 of your residency and will be required to provide evidence of your arrival date.