You will need a licence if you want to:

  • breed dogs for sale
  • sell animals as pets, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet
  • provide animal boarding facilities such as a kennel, cattery or dog home boarding
  • provide dog day care services
  • keep dangerous wild animals
  • keep or train animals for public performance (in a circus, theatre or in a film or TV production)
  • hire out horses (for riding or instruction in riding)
  • run a zoo or other business keeping animals for public exhibition

In all cases except dog breeding and keeping dangerous wild animals, the requirement for a licence is restricted to businesses or those operating on a commercial basis. An animal activity is deemed to be carried out in the course of a business if the person undertaking that activity makes any sale or carries on the activity with a view to making profit; or earns any fee or commission from the activity.