fb-trackingSkip to main content

Cosy homes scheme

Cosy homes

We want to make sure that your home is as warm as it can be this winter. So, we’re working with E.ON and J&J Crump installers to offer free cavity, party wall and loft insulation to qualifying homes through our Cosy Homes scheme.

The main home improvement that we'll install under the scheme, is cavity wall and loft insulation, however some households may be eligible for additional heating works too – we’re talking £1,000s worth of free upgrades, and you don't have to be an E.ON customer to benefit!

Our Cosy Homes Scheme was launched as part of the Government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO) programme to help eligible residents stay warm, save energy and lower their energy bills through subsidised energy-saving improvements.

Did you know, it’s estimated that without proper insulation, you could be losing a third of the heat in your house through the walls and roof? You could even cut down on your fuel bills, with cavity wall insulation estimated to save you up to £150* per year. In addition, loft insulation could save you another £125*.

If you’d like to cut your energy bills and have a warmer home, find out if you qualify for energy saving measures below and get in touch with us today.

*Estimated annual savings for an average household installing cavity wall and loft insulation as of April 2019. Provided by the independent Energy Savings Trust.

**Please note that the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham is endorsing the take-up of energy savings measures as part of the Government’s Energy Company Obligations (ECO3) programme and shall not be directly or indirectly responsible or liable for services provided by J&J Crump Ltd

I’m a Council Tenant

Under the scheme rules set by the Government only council properties with an energy performance rating of E, F or G will qualify for measures. So, if you’re in one of these properties, it is likely that we’ll be in touch with you in due course.

You don’t have to contact us to find out if you qualify for free energy saving measures.

I’m an owner occupier and private rented tenant on qualifying benefits

If you, or someone in your household, receives a relevant qualifying benefit then you should qualify for ECO3 funding towards the cost of energy saving measures. The amount of funding available will be subject to survey and will depend on the type of property you live in:

Are you eligible? Toggle accordion

To receive funding towards energy saving home improvements from us, you must own your home and you, or someone living at your property must qualify with one of the sections below:

1. Receive one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit Element
  • Income-related employment and support allowance (ESA) 
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) 
  • Income support Working and Child Tax Credits 
  • Universal Credit 

2. Receive one of the newly introduced benefits:

  • Armed forces independent payment
  • Attendance allowance 
  • Carer's allowance
  • Disability living allowance 
  • Severe disablement allowance 
  • War pensions mobility supplement
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit
  • Personal independence payment
  • Constant attendance allowance

3. Receive child benefits 

On the condition that the claimant’s annual income from all sources does not exceed the amount set out below:

For one qualifying child for which the person is responsible: 

  • For a single claimant - £18,500
  • Member of a couple - £25,500

For two qualifying children for which the person is responsible: 

  • For a single claimant - £23,000
  • Member of a couple - £30,000

For three qualifying children for which the person is responsible: 

  • For a single claimant - £27,500
  • Member of a couple - £34,500

For four qualifying children for which the person is responsible: 

  • For a single claimant - £32,000
  • Member of a couple - £39,000

I’m an owner-occupier or private tenant, but not on qualifying benefits

Even if you don’t qualify for the benefits set out above, you may be eligible under the council’s flexibility criteria, known as LA Flex.

In summary, if you are found to be living in fuel poverty, or are on a low income, live in a cold home or you or anyone else in your household is vulnerable to illnesses caused by the cold, you may qualify for measures. You can find out more on our Energy Company Obligation 3 statement of intent (PDF, 160KB).

If you think you might be eligible for the Cosy Homes Scheme, or have any questions, get in touch with us.

Get in touch about the Cosy Homes Scheme