fb-trackingSkip to main content

Council house repairs

If you can smell gas, please call the gas emergency helpline on 0800 111 999

To report an electricity emergency, contact the electricity emergency helpline on 0800 404 090

If there is a power cut, do not call your electricity supplier.  Please call 105

COVID update

Works where you may experience a delay:

  • non-urgent internal repairs in occupied buildings

Safety arrangements

To keep our customers and staff safe:

  • all our operatives will be wearing full PPE including face masks
  • any discussion with our operatives about the repair will be completed outside the property

We need you to:

  • maintain a safe social distance from our operatives as they carry out repairs
  • please wear a face covering
  • ventilate the home and work area prior to and during the appointment by opening windows and internal doors

If either customers or staff feel unsafe, the operative can leave the property if the repair has been made safe.

Council house repairs

We are responsible for some of the repairs to your council home and you are responsible for the rest.  For the repairs we are responsible for, we will only carry out the work if it is a result of fair wear and tear.

If yourself or your visitors have caused the damage, or you would like us to carry out work to repairs you are responsible for, we will but we will charge you.

You may be able to claim back the cost of the repair through your personal contents insurance. It is up to you to check your policy details to see if you are covered for accidental damage.

Other recharges will include:

  • £25 plus VAT for any appointments that you make and are not at home to keep
  • £300 plus VAT for gas safety checks that we have to make by court order if you've not allowed us access or refused to make an appointment for your gas safety check