Social housing

Unfortunately there are very few council homes available in Barking and Dagenham.  This means that most people who apply for a council home do not get one.

Even those in the greatest need may wait months or years to be offered accommodation.  This means that most people will be housed more quickly by renting from a private landlord.

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help with rent payments by claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. 

To find out if you are eligible for social housing, you can find more information on our apply for social housing page.

Homefinder UK helps those already on the council waiting list or who are homeless, find permanent social housing in other parts of the country.

To find out what options are available to you based on your current circumstance, please visit our Your Housing Options tool. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete if you have some basic information to hand.

Housing Option Finder tool