Universal Credit

Find out what Universal Credit is, what benefits you're eligible for and how to apply.

Universal Credit does not include an amount for Council Tax. Make sure you get your claim to us, or you may find yourself in arrears with extra costs to pay.

Universal Credit is a benefit for people of working age, and for mixed age couples where one member of the couple has not reached Pension Credit age. It is paid monthly by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and may include an amount for housing costs.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Once you have claimed Universal Credit you cannot go back to one of the six legacy benefits, listed above, even if your circumstances change.

For more information about moving to Universal Credit please see How could Universal Credit help you.

If you want to check how much benefit you may be entitled to please use an independent benefits calculator.

You must apply and manage your Universal credit claim online. Information about how much you will be paid and reporting changes in circumstances will be done online through your Universal Credit journal.

Universal Credit does not replace our Council Tax Support scheme or Free School Meals. You must continue to claim both of these separately, directly with the Council.

Make a claim for Free School Meals

Make a claim for Council Tax Support