Overpayments and how to pay

If you have a change in your circumstances which leads to an overpayment of Housing Benefit, we will notify you (and your landlord if they received payments) in writing, detailing the period, the amount overpaid and the reason for being overpaid.​

​An overpayment can be recovered from you, a person acting on your behalf, your rent account (if you are a Council Tenant) or the person who benefits were paid to for example your landlord. If you disagree with the overpayment decision, details on how to dispute it can be found on our Disagree with a decision page.

​Repayment and Recovery methods

You can pay an overpayment of Housing Benefit any of the following ways but please remember to quote the invoice number when making payments: ​

  • pay the invoice in full online​
  • over the phone using our 24 hour payment line 020 8227 2050, option 7, using a credit or debit card​
  • standing order or BACs transfer using the Council's details​ to Lloyds TSB PLC, City Office, PO Box 72, ​Bailey Drive, Gillingham Business Park, ME3 0LS​ 
      Sort code: 30-00-02
      Bank account number: 01526028
  • pay at your local bank using the paying in slip attached at the foot of your invoice​


  • by weekly deductions from any Housing Benefit entitlement, you may continue to receive​
  • deductions directly from DWP Benefits

If you cannot pay your invoice in full you can apply to make an arrangement by completing the income and expenditure review form (PDF, 139.96 KB) and returning it by email to overpayments@lbbd.gov.uk

For more information and advice, please visit our Money and debt pages.

Money and debt