fb-trackingSkip to main content

Planning enforcement

Sometimes building work is not carried out in line with planning permission or permission has not been granted.

You can report suspected breaches of planning permission to us which we will investigate.

We also provide a register where you can view what planning enforcement action has taken place. 

Report suspected breaches of planning regulations

You can play an important role in helping us identify and report suspected breaches of planning regulations in the borough.

You can try to resolve the problem by having a conversation with the person involved. They might not be aware there is a problem or might have already been granted planning permission.

Find out if planning permission has already been obtained for a development 

When making a report, it's helpful if you can provide as much information as possible. This is without putting yourself at risk. Where possible, try to include all of the following:

  • dates of when activities or building work started and how they are affecting you personally
  • the full address for the site where the development is taking place
  • your contact details in order that we can keep you informed
  • names and contact details of the owners or other people involved such as contractors, builders (if known)
  • photographs

All complaints are treated sensitively and where possible confidentially, it may be difficult to preserve confidentiality in every case, for example if we need to go to court we may ask you to give us further help.

Certain developments, such as small house extensions, are permitted by law and we have no control over them.

We have no control over works completed more than four years ago.

Please note we have no jurisdiction over civil matters such as boundary disputes.

Report suspected breach of planning regulations 

Make a payment to the Planning Enforcement Team

Pay a compliance fee or planning appeal fee

Planning enforcement section 188 register

Each Local Planning Authority is required to maintain an up to date Enforcement Register.

Section 188 of the Town and Country Planning Act (1990) requires the register to contain information on enforcement notices, stop notices and breach of condition notices.

View Barking and Dagenham's planning enforcement register