Private tenants and homeowners

If your property is privately owned and your drain or sewer is overflowing, you or your landlord must arrange for a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. If there is flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework, you or your landlord should contact a plumber.

Outside of your property boundary, the responsibility for blockages lies with either Thames Water, for sewerage, and Essex and Suffolk Water for water mains, as explained below.