Barking Abbey Ruins
NameBarking Abbey Ruins
Telephone020 8227 2332
AddressThe Broadway, Barking
MapLoading …The Broadway, Barking
The Barking Abbey Ruins are part of the larger area of parkland that is now called Abbey Green.
The location is that of the original buildings of Barking Abbey, founded in 666 AD, until it was demolished shortly after 1541 AD.
The only surviving building of this period is the Curfew Tower, which is now the gateway to the adjacent St Margaret’s Church, but was originally a gatehouse to the Abbey.
Most of the remaining ruins are now buried and hidden.
The walls that are currently visible are under a century old, and were built to indicate the original layout.
The Abbey Ruins are the venue for each May for the Classical Concert, and its associated fireworks event.