fb-trackingSkip to main content

Apply for a first time resident parking permit

You need a parking permit to park your vehicle in some roads in Barking and Dagenham. Our permits are now applied for and renewed online, so we don't produce paper permits anymore. They are valid on your chosen start date after you make payment.

To be eligible for a resident permit:

  • you must live in Barking and Dagenham
  • your vehicle must registered in your name and your address in Barking and Dagenham

You'll be asked to provide proof of address and/or vehicle ownership for a residents, visitor or temporary permit. If you're not eligible or you are found to have got a permit through deception, your permit will be cancelled and you won't get a refund. You may also be liable to prosecution for fraudulently obtaining a permit.

If you live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) and hold a valid permit you are allowed to park over a dropped kerb outside your house as long as you're not blocking anyone else, such as wheelchair, pram users or motorist. You will not be permitted to park across any other dropped kerb.

Apply for a permit

New permit system guide - How to setup and buy resident permits (PDF, 384KB)

Documents required for proof of residence and vehicle ownership 

Proof of residence

Proof of residence is required when submitting an application for a resident/temporary permit or a visitors' scratchcard parking permit.

Any of these documents dated within 3 months is acceptable:

  • bank or building society statement
  • Council Tax bill
  • utility bill (electricity, gas or water)

Proof of vehicle ownership

Proof of ownership is required when submitting an application for a resident/temporary permit.

Any of these is acceptable:

  • bill of sale
  • certificate of motor insurance
  • vehicle registration document (V5C)

If you are unable to provide these documents then we will consider issuing you with a 30 day temporary permit while you wait for these documents to arrive.

Apply for a temporary permit 

Permit prices 

Tariff bandEmissions (CO2) g/kmUp to 2 vehicle3rd vehicle4th vehicle5 or more vehicles
10 to 50Free£45£45£45
250 to 100£18£45£45£45
3101 to 140    £36£45£54£63
4141 to 160£45£56.25£67.50£78.75
5161 to 180£51£63.75£76.50£89.25
6181 to 255£80£100£120£140
7Over 256£140£175£210£245

The emissions (CO2) g/km for your vehicle can be found in your log book (V5C).

Apply without internet access Toggle accordion

Our paperless visitor parking permits are designed to work with smartphones, tablets and computers.

Anyone that doesn't have access to a smartphone, tablet or computer can visit:

We will guide you through the process using our self-service computers. We also run regular free internet introduction sessions for people who’d like to get online and use the internet.