Notice of marriage or Civil partnership

When and where to give notice of marriage or civil partnership

If you are a relevant national you must give at least 28 full days notice at your local register office. You can give notice up to one year before the date of the planned marriage ceremony.

Your notice is publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days before the marriage authority (the legal documents which permit you to marry) is issued. This is usually 29 days after the notice appointment. 

You both must have lived in the borough more than 7 days immediately before giving notice.

The definition of a relevant national is;

  • a British Citizen
  • an Irish Citizen
  • a person who has been granted EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status (either settled or pre-settled or has a pending application for that status (submitted before 30 June 2021)