Keeping dangerous wild animals

You need a dangerous wild animals licence if you keep a dangerous wild animal in any circumstances other than in a zoo, a circus, a pet shop or a premise registered for carrying out animal experiments. Schedule 1 to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 lists the wild animals for which a licence is required.

Generally, a licence will only be granted if you own the animals in your possession. A veterinary inspector, appointed by the council, will inspect the premises in which you propose to keep any dangerous wild animal before a licence will be granted and you will be required to pay for that inspection in addition to the licence fee.

You will be required to maintain public liability insurance for your animal(s) with an appropriate level of cover.

Dangerous wild animal application form (PDF, 191 KB)