There is currently an issue with payments for Rent, Council Tax and many other services. Payments are still going through but are not showing up in their accounts. We are working urgently to fix the issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Discounts and exemptions
Students and apprentices
Find out if you're eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption and apply.
You may be eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption if you are a full-time student.
To be considered for this, you must be on a course at a registered educational establishment in the UK or under the ERASMUS scheme.
You must be on a higher education course, i.e. graduate or post-graduate:
- which lasts an academic or calendar year (at least 24 weeks in each year)
- undertaking a at least of 21 hours per week of study, tuition and or work experience
- work experience cannot exceed 50% of the total course time (except student teachers)
You'll need to be on a qualifying course of education:
- which lasts for at least 3 months,
- undertaking a at least of 12 hours per week of study, tuition and or work experience
You can also qualify if you are a
- foreign language student registered with the British Council
- student nurse undertaking a course that leads to registration under the nurses, midwife and health visitors act 1997
Your educational establishment should give you a certificate of exemption that includes your course. This certificate should be submitted with your application.
You may also be eligible for a discount if you are a spouse or dependant of a full-time student and both of the following apply:
- you are not a British citizen and;
- you cannot take paid employment or claim benefits
You will need to provide the student certificate and a copy of the front/back of the visa card.
Apply for student council tax discount
School and college leavers
Anyone under 20 that has left education between 30 April and 31 October will continue to be disregarded until the 31 October. The 25% discount will only apply when the property is occupied by two adults where one is a school or college leaver.
If you are not receiving this discount then please contact us using our online enquiry form.
To receive an apprentice discount, you must be:
- employed for the purposes of learning a trade, business or profession and,
- undertaking a programme of training leading to a qualification accredited by the National Council of Vocational Qualifications or the Scottish Vocational Education Council
- earning or receiving an allowance of no more than £195 per week (before tax and National Insurance) and be less than when qualified