You need a licence issued by the council in accordance with Part III of the London Local Authorities Act 1990, if you wish to carry out any of the following activities in Barking and Dagenham:

  • trade from a stall or stand in Barking Town Centre Market
  • trade immediately outside or on the forecourt of a shop on the public highway (including the footpath)
  • place tables and chairs outside a food and drink premises on the public highway (including the footpath)
  • trade from a mobile vehicle
  • trade on private land if it is within 7m of the public highway (including the footpath),

Anyone carrying out street trading without a valid licence is committing an offence and is liable to receive a fixed penalty notice to pay £150 and/or to be fined up to £1000 on prosecution.

You do not need a licence to trade on the forecourt of your shop if the forecourt lies entirely within the freehold of the premises.

Contact us

For market enquiries, email: barkingmarket@lbbd.gov.uk

For street trading enquiries, email: streettrading@lbbd.gov.uk or phone 020 8724 8898.