Apply for a dropped kerb

The kerb is dropped from the normal height and the path is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle

If you drive over the footway but do not have dropped kerb, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken against you.

If you live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) and hold a valid permit you are allowed to park over a dropped kerb outside your house as long as you're not blocking anyone else, such as wheelchair, pram users or motorist. You will not be permitted to park across any other dropped kerb.

If a vehicle parks illegally over your dropped kerb (outside your house), please call the Parking Team on 0208 215 3000 and listen out for the 'report illegal parking’ option. Alternatively, you can email and give the full location details.

Please note that if your query is regarding a dropped kerb application of refusal, your query needs to be directed to the Highways Dropped Kerb team.

  1. Check our approval criteria

    The criteria for approval of a dropped kerb application.

  2. Apply and pay for your dropped kerb application

    Pay for your application and we'll let you know if and when it's approved.

  3. Pay in installments

    Paying in instalments will incur additional fees

  4. What happens next?

    This part of the process usually takes around 5 weeks.

  5. Apply for access marking

    Residents can apply for a white access T-bar to be painted on the road across the extent of a dropped kerb