Be First, working in partnership with London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, is responsible for all street naming and numbering in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
The service we provide is essential to ensure a comprehensive and high standard for naming:
- and individual property numbers
This benefits the public, delivery businesses and emergency services.
Most service providers and statutory undertakers will NOT connect services until new premises have been given a formal postal address. Such as:
- telecommunications companies
- Internet service providers
Please note that no address within the borough is legal unless authorised by Be First.
What we do
We manage street and building names and numbers to ensure that the address of each property in the borough is unique, clear and logical.
We are responsible for:
- naming a new street
- naming and numbering a new development or redevelopment
- naming or numbering a new individual property
- renaming or renumbering existing properties
- street renaming/renumbering
- Consult with London Fire Brigade, local Ward Councillors and the Lead Cllr for Regeneration & Economic Development
- Liaise with Royal Mail (who assign and advise the postcode)
- Add the new address(es) to the Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG)
Once the address has been formalised, we inform the following of the new address:
- Land Registry
- Valuation Office
- Council Tax
- Electoral Services
- Land Charges
- Emergency Services
On new development sites, it is the developer's responsibility to install new street nameplates and not the responsibility of the local authority.