Due to a technical fault with our out of hours service systems, callers may experience slight delays in us being able to respond to their calls throughout the weekend. Please bear with us and we will do our utmost best to respond. We are working hard to restore the service.
Portage and inclusion education service
Information about our portage and inclusion education service
Portage Plus is for children who meet the criteria for Core Portage and have significant delays with social, communication and play skills. Some of these children may be undergoing assessment for a possible diagnosis of autism.
Who can receive Core Portage
Your child must:
- live in Barking and Dagenham
- be under 3 years old
- not be attending nursery
- have a significant developmental delay in two or more areas of development
- if your child does not have a developmental delay now, your child has a condition that could cause delay in the future
- you must want to be involved with the Portage service and be available for visits
Criteria for Portage Plus:
- the child is aged from birth to 3 years
- the child has significant delays with social, communication and play skills (some of these children may be undergoing assessment for a possible diagnosis of autism)
- the child is not attending an early years setting full time
- the child’s parent/primary carer must agree to the referral and be available for visits with the allocated Portage practitioner throughout the 4 month programme
If your child is eligible for Portage Plus you will be offered the good beginnings programme. This is a 4 month home visiting programme which includes at least 10 home visits. The programme covers a wide range of subjects including communication, play and behaviour. Each visit will be tailored to suit the needs of your individual child and family.
A weekly structured play session, supporting parents to develop their child’s play, learning and communication in a group setting.