Home maintenance and gardening

If you have a disability or health condition, or you are finding it more difficult getting around, then managing the garden and small household jobs, such as changing light bulbs or mowing the lawn, can be difficult.

We have to make sure that people who receive personal care are made a priority. This means that we are not able to provide help for things like keeping the garden tidy or doing jobs around the house. 

If you want some help with things like gardening, you could contact the Barking and Dagenham Volunteer Bureau to see if there are volunteers who could offer you help.

Alternatively you will need to make your own arrangements with a company or individual who are able to provide this service. You can use local phone books or the internet to find out if there are any private companies in the area who can do your gardening or carry out maintenance for you. If you use services like this you will have to pay.

Useful contacts

Harmony House - Jobs2do

Harmony house offer a “Jobs2do” service which can help with daily chores that may becoming a struggle in day to day life. If you, or someone you know finds it difficult with things such as cleaning, laundry, gardening and meal preparation and need a little help for a couple of hours a day or week “jobs2do” could help support you or your loved one and make sure that home life stays easy, safe and stress free.

Barking and Dagenham Volunteer Bureau

Address: 16 Pickering Road, Barking, IG11 8PG

Phone: 020 3288 2180

Handyperson Scheme

Found out more about the scheme on our adaptations page.

If you need some advice or support, you can contact the Adult Triage on 020 8227 2915.