Skip to main content

What your Council Tax pays for

Council Tax is a locally set tax, payable on all domestic properties whether they are owned or rented. Your Council Tax is your contribution to the many services the council provides such as schools, roads, libraries, support for the vulnerable and rubbish collection.

It helps us to provide support for the vulnerable, to make rubbish collections and it pays for our emergency services. Council Tax also pays for the police, the fire service and many other local services.

Read our Council Tax booklet for a breakdown of where council funds come from and how the money is spent.

2018 to 2019 Council Tax booklet (PDF, 223KB)

Council Tax increases Toggle accordion

We took the difficult decision to increase Council Tax by 2.99%, and the adult social care precept by 3%. This is a total increase of 5.99%

Overall, the cost for a typical Band D taxpayer is an extra £1 per week. The GLA amount has also increased by £14.21, so for a typical Band D taxpayer this is an extra £82.01 per year.

We have a growing population, with more children and elderly people who need our support. Council Tax helps us to protect the most vulnerable; without this increase there would be a shortfall of £71 million in the budget by 2020.

Despite the significant spending pressures on the council, we still have one of the lowest Council Tax rates in London.

Council Tax and adult social care Toggle accordion

There is a national funding crisis in health and social care services due to unprecedented demand and increasing cost pressures.

To enable councils to plug the funding gap, central government has allowed an increase in the adult social care precept of 3%. The adult social care precept is a specification from central government of the percentage that can be charged to support adult social care services. The money raised by this can only be used for adult social care services.

Adult social care is the provision of personal care, protection or social support services to adults in need or at risk due to illness, disability, old age or poverty.

The services aim to protect people from abuse or neglect. They help to prevent deterioration of physical and mental health or to promote better health.

The services help the community by promoting independence and social inclusion, improving opportunities and life chances, strengthening families and protecting human rights in relation to people’s social needs.

Your obligation to pay Council Tax Toggle accordion

You are legally obliged to pay your Council Tax even if you are unhappy with all or some of the services provided by the council.

Dissatisfaction with the services provided is not an acceptable defence against a liability order being granted.

If you're unhappy with our services, you can make a comment or complaint.

Adjustment notices and annual bills Toggle accordion

If you get an adjustment notice saying one thing and an annual bill saying something different, don't worry. This happens because letters are sent out at different times.

Always check the date of the notice in the right-hand corner; this shows when the bill was generated. The notice with the latest date will be the correct one.

Your annual bill 2018 to 2019 and ‘other amounts’ Toggle accordion

If your 2018 to 2019 annual bill says you owe ‘other amounts’, but you’ve never been behind with payments, this is likely because the bill was created in February 2018 and your last instalment (for March 2018) will show as an ‘amount owed for other periods’ on your bill.

If you can’t afford to pay Council Tax Toggle accordion

If you can’t afford to pay because you're in receipt of benefits or your income is low, you must apply for Council Tax support online.

Council Tax support is no longer backdated and will only be awarded from the Monday following the date your application is submitted/received.

If you have been placed in the borough by another council that pays your Housing Benefit, you must still apply for Council Tax support in Barking and Dagenham via our website.

Discretionary Council Tax relief is awarded due to exceptional circumstances.

You can choose to spread your Council Tax instalments over 12 months rather than 10, making it easier to pay; you must inform us before your April instalment is due if you wish to do this (as your instalment plan must end in March 2018).

Paying Council Tax on an empty property when you don’t live in the borough Toggle accordion

Some people ask us why they have to pay Council Tax on an empty property when they don’t live in the borough and never use the services.

Due to the current housing shortage, we have a commitment to reduce the number of empty properties in the borough and encourage the owners to bring them back into use. We stopped offering Council Tax discounts for empty properties in April 2015.

Electronic bills Toggle accordion

Register for e-billing to receive your Council Tax bills electronically instead of receiving paper bills by post.

Applying for a refund Toggle accordion

If you've overpaid and you'd like to apply for a refund on your Council Tax bill, you can use the joint refund form. in your My Account.

Apply for a refund

Council Tax general enquiry

We want to help you understand Council Tax and how to pay it. The best way to contact us for help or information is to use our Council Tax general enquiry form.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have a My Account, you can register for My Account.

Council Tax general enquiry form