Struggling to pay your Council Tax

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, there is help available for you.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support, can reduce your Council Tax bill by as much as 85% if you are working age.

You can make a claim for Council Tax Support online by registering for a My B&D Account.

If you are receiving Council Tax Support and want to know how the council decides how much to deduct, please call 0208 227 2970 or email

Financial Help and Budgeting Advice

Our Online Budget Calculator can help you to maximise your income by helping you identify and apply for the financial assistance and benefits that you may be entitled to.

For more information on the financial support available, please visit our Money and Debt advice page. 

You can also access free and independent debt advice through the government sponsored MoneyHelper.

BD Money

Struggling financially? Visit Barking and Dagenham Money for free, expert money advice.

If you’re struggling with non-priority debts such as credit cards or payday loans, a Debt Consolidation Loan offered through the Barking and Dagenham Money partnership can be a means of helping you get in control of your finances.

We’re here to help you

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are unable to make your Council Tax payment on time, we will do what we can to help you.

We can also identify any reductions that you may be eligible for such as discounts and exemptions.

You can call us on 020 8227 2926 or email