Roadside memorials and tributes policy
At the scene of fatal road accidents it's common practice for bereaved families and friends to place flowers and tributes. The following policy has been put in place to respect wishes of bereaved families and friends, those who live near the scene and to prevent any hazards for pedestrians and drivers. It'll be reviewed after 12 months.
- we shall generally allow roadside floral tributes or other temporary memorials at the roadside for a period of 30 days from when the tribute is first identified
- floral tributes or memorials remaining in place after the 30 day period shall be removed by the council in consultation with police family liaison officers
- we shall generally allow repeat roadside tributes or other temporary memorials placed on special anniversary dates to remain for a period of 30 days after the repeat placement is first identified
- permanent roadside memorials including green memorials such as trees or shrubs and other types of memorials (such as a seats, benches or a plaques) will not be allowed. They shall be removed within 30 days after the placement is first identified
- permanent memorials such as trees or shrubs and other types of memorials (such as a seats, benches or a plaques) will be considered in a local park, where possible
- items of a non-perishable nature removed by the council shall be retained for a 60 day period in a safe storage area during which bereaved relatives will be able to collect the items, by arrangement
- we reserve the right to remove at any time roadside floral tributes or any other memorials considered to present a hazard or distraction to road users and pedestrians
This will only apply to the roads for which the council has a responsibility.
In implementing this policy we, the council, will ensure that the removal of all roadside memorials/tributes is handled in a sensitive and respectful manner.
The council will work in close partnership with The Metropolitan Police and police family liaison officers to ensure wherever possible there is communication with the bereaved families prior to the removal of any tribute.