Skip permits

All skips placed on the public highway require a permit. A separate permit is needed for each skip. Permits are only issued to registered contractors.

Register for skip permits

Contractors must be registered with us before applying for a skip permit. You must have a valid public liability insurance certificate covering at least £5 million and a waste carrier licence - scans or photos of both of these must be uploaded when you register. 

Apply for a highways licence or permit

For further information you can read the full terms and conditions for a skip permit on our highways licensing terms and conditions page.

If you want a skip outside your house and on the public highway or footway, you must use one of our registered contractors. Permits are not issued to residents, only to skip contractors registered with the council.

New skip company registration form

Complete the new skip company registration form

Skip registration is subject to approval by our highways department, a £368 registration fee and submission of:

  • valid waste carrier licence
  • a public liability insurance certificate, which must cover at least £5,000,000

If the road requested is a planning permission road, an officer from our highways team will contact you within 2 working days of your application being processed.

Please read and fully understand the requirements and conditions for placing skips in our borough before you complete the application:

Skip requirements and conditions (PDF, 70KB) 

Once we receive your skip registration application form, a business support officer will call you to take the £368 registration fee over the phone. 

We will notify you in writing or email once we have processed your application.