Your Council Tax bill and valuation band

Find out how we work out your bill and what your Council Tax band is.

Your bill

The amount of Council Tax you pay is set each year. It's made up of charges from the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and the Greater London Authority. The amount you have to pay will depend on four main factors:

  1. The tax set by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
  2. The tax set by the Greater London Authority
  3. The valuation band that your property has been placed in
  4. Whether you are entitled to any discounts or exemptions

Your Council Tax bill explained

    Your Council Tax for 2023-2024

    The amount you have to pay is shown on your Council Tax bill. You can check a property's Council Tax bill if you know the Council Tax band for a property.

    This can also be found in your My B&D Account,or you can opt for e-billing so that instead of receiving paper bills or notification letters, you can view your bills and notification letters online.

    Band Range of values Barking and Dagenham Adult Social Care Precept Greater London Authority Total Council Tax
    A Up to and including £40,000 £844.73 £127.65 £289.43 £1,261.81
    B £40,001 to £52,000 £985.51 £148.93 £337.66 £1,472.10
    C £52,001 to £68,000 £1,126.30 £170.20 £385.90 £1,682.40
    D £68,001 to £88,000 £1,267.09 £191.48 £434.14 £1,892.71
    E £88,001 to £120,000 £1,548.66 £234.03 £530.62 £2,313.31
    F £120,001 to £160,000 £1,830.24 £276.58 £627.09 £2,733.91
    G £160,001 to £320,000 £2,111.81 £319.13 £723.57 £3,154.51
    H More than £320,000 £2,534.18 £382.95 £868.28 £3,785.41

    Valuation bands

    Domestic properties are in valuation bands based on the property market value on 1 April 1991. The band for your property is shown on your Council Tax bill or in your My B&D Account.

    Check a property's Council Tax band

    The valuation of your property is based on certain assumptions, such as:

    • vacant possession
    • a freehold interest or, if a flat, a 99-year leasehold at a nominal rental
    • the property being in a reasonable state of repair

    Challenging your band

    The value of your property, and the Council Tax band it is in, are assessed by the Valuation Office Agency, the council does not have any input into this banding. If you feel your banding is incorrect, you can challenge the band by contacting the Valuation Office Agency.

    Challenge your Council Tax band